Inspired to propose by the wave of same-sex marriage wins this past November and the fact that Proposition 8 could soon be history? Well, why not do it in Philly?
Pennsylvania may not be one of the nine states that has thus far seen fit to legalize same-sex marriage, but it is the home of Philadelphia—the city of brotherly love, and the birthplace of the document upon which the struggle for equality in marriage, and indeed all things, is based. Fittingly, Philly is celebrating this Valentine's Day with a contest worthy of the city's nickname and rich history. Even the most romantic romantics might find themselves a little weak in the knees at the prospect of winning this contest.
Propose to your special someone in a big way this February thanks to the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation's With Love, Philadelphia XOXO® contest, which includes a personalized proposal love letter on a Philadelphia Trolley Works trolley, a $5,000 Hearts on Fire Acclaim engagement ring from Bernie Robbins Jewelers, an engagement-day photo shoot and an overnight stay at the Hotel Monaco Philadelphia.
Beginning on Jan. 24, those interested in popping the question on Valentine's Day can submit their Philly-centric love story and photo at visitphilly.com/propose. Yep, that's the one catch—your love story has to have some connection to Philly, but if you're a true romantic, that shouldn't be much of a problem, especially as Philadelphia is, as I mentioned above, the city of brotherly love.
Here's how it works:
* One lovestruck man (or woman) goes to visitphilly.com/propose.
* He/she enters a description of Philadelphia's role in the couple's love story.
* He/she agrees that both parties will be available in person for the public proposal on Feb. 14 and are willing to partake in an engagement-day photo shoot.
* He/she submits an image of the couple for publicity purposes.
* On Feb. 4, GPTMC notifies the winner.
* GPTMC works with the winner to create a personalized love letter in the With Love campaign style and to develop a ruse to surprise the significant other.
* GPTMC and the winner plan a special engagement day on Feb. 14 that features the personalized With Love letter on a Philadelphia Trolley Works trolley.
"We're all about the love and wanted to give Philadelphia's loyal fans a chance to engage with the With Love campaign and bring it to life," said Meryl Levitz, President and CEO of GPTMC. "What better way to celebrate the campaign than with a Valentine's Day engagement?"
The contest closes on Feb. 3.
For more information about travel to Philadelphia, visit visitphilly.com or uwishunu.com, where you can build itineraries; search event calendars; see photos and videos; view interactive maps; sign up for newsletters; listen to HearPhilly, an online radio station about what to see and do in the region; book hotel reservations and more.