Wake up and smell the Bain de Soleil, Westsiders—spring is in the air. It's that magical time of year when a young man's fancy turns to thoughts of—well, around here I guess other young men, but for the sake of this column, let's say shorts. Yes, you can now officially run amuck on the city streets in less clothes than usual without the 'Flip flops in December? He must be off his meds!' comments from the casual passerby.
Of course, pulling off an early spring shorts look does come with challenges. So instead of rushing over to Macy's Men's and shopping willy-nilly, put down the Amex, pour yourself a scotch on the rocks and take some lessons from a master of daring looks, Gossip Girl's notorious ne'er-do-well, Chuck Bass (actor Ed Westwick). Preppy, playful and perfectly bad—you know you love him. XOXO.
1. Brooks Brothers argyle V-neck cotton sweater, $109 shop.nordstrom.com
4. Incotex slim-fit linen and cotton-blend shorts, $235 mrporter.com
5. The Mad Men Collection classic cotton oxford shirt, $79.50 bananarepublic.gap.com
7. Western madras check silk bow tie, $70 us.thomaspink.com
8. Stacy Adams suede and croc Tegan Oxford in navy & bone, $69.99 famousfootwear.com
9. Marcoliani pima cotton over-the-calf argyle socks, $35 customshirt1.com
2. American Crew Classic Pomade, 1.75 oz., $10.99 haircarechoices.com
3. Arrogant by English Laundry, 3.4fl. oz. $49 namebrandsperfume.com
6. Charles Tyrwhitt woven boxer shorts, $29 ctshirts.co.uk
10. Monogrammed double old-fashioned glasses, set of 4, $59 williams-sonoma.com
11. Deaths Door 80 proof White Whisky, $32.99 marketviewliquor.com